Sunday, August 11, 2013

It's Time to Get Fly!

Getting faster is something that I am always striving for. I have to admit that lately, I haven't been as focused on it as I should be. I have become satisfied with running at a comfortable pace and not challenging myself. I have finally decided that I have had enough! This month Nike has put out a program to follow to help you get faster. I jumped on the chance to challenge myself and I wanted to share this opportunity with you. 


Nike launched their Get Fly program for the month of August. I began the program on Wednesday, timing my fastest mile at a 6:39. The goal over the month of August is to train with their daily workouts and beat your previous fastest time. My goal is a 6 minute mile by August 31st. Combined with marathon training and Hood to Coast over August 23 & 24, I may have to alternate a few workouts. I will be doing my best to follow the plan. Check it out below and let me know what you think. I'd love to have you join me in speed training! Today is my rest day so I am enjoying some much needed R&R after my 15 mile long run yesterday.

August Get Fly Training Program

The Get Fly program was launched with the release of the Nike Free Flyknit shoe. I have a pair of Nike Free's from last year, but their new design is tempting! The fit is more like a sock than a shoe and is made to conform to your foot. Check out the video review below from Nike's Creative Director of Running for more information on the innovative technology in this shoe.


Need more information? Check out these facts on the Free Flyknit from Nike and get ready to feel a whole new style of running. 
SUPER NATURAL RIDE
The revolution of Flyknit continues in the Nike Free Flyknit+ Women's Running Shoe, combining the second-skin fit of Flyknit construction and ultimate flexibility of Nike Free.
SECOND-SKIN FIT
The revolutionary Nike Flyknit upper delivers a compressive, second-skin fit that secures your foot over the Nike Free midsole. Made entirely of polyester yarn, the one-piece upper seamlessly integrates areas of high breathability, stretch and support where you need it most.
NATURAL RIDE
The upper, midsole and outsole work together to create a more natural ride. For ultimate flexibility, the shoe's Nike Free 5.0 midsole features flex grooves to promote natural motion and help increase stability and foot strength.
LIGHTWEIGHT SUPPORT
Ultra-light Flywire cables are woven into the Flyknit upper and connect to the laces, offering a dynamic, supportive fit that adapts to your foot's movements.
LESS WASTE
To construct the upper, polyester yarn is fed into a proprietary knitting machine, creating little to no waste and minimizing weight so the shoe's incredibly efficient to produce.
FLYKNIT ORIGINS
Nike Flyknit was inspired by feedback from runners requesting a shoe with the snug (and virtually unnoticed) fit of a sock. Nike embarked on a four-year mission with teams of programmers, engineers and designers to create the technology needed to make the knit upper with static properties for structure and durability. Then the precise placement of support, flexibility and breathability-all in one layer-was refined. The result was a featherweight, form-fitting and virtually seamless upper.
NIKE FREE ORIGINS
After learning that Stanford athletes had been training barefoot on the university's golf course, three of Nike's most innovative and creative employees set out to develop a shoe that felt natural and weightless, similar to bare feet. In 2002, they examined a group of men and women with pressure measuring insoles taped to their feet, using high-speed cameras to capture images of each foot in motion.
The team spent eight years studying the biomechanics of shoeless running. The results yielded a profound understanding of the foot's natural landing angle, pressure and toe position, allowing Nike designers to build an unconventional and flexible running shoe from the inside out.


Allyson Felix Testing Out the Free Flyknit!

Nike is focusing their product launch with a movement to help everyday athletes get stronger. If you are in a city with a NikeTown store, be sure to stop by and check out their free Run Clubs and Nike Training Club sessions. If you're lucky enough to live in New York you may even be able to score a trip to the Nike Running training sessions in Montauk! If you want to check out this amazing program search the #MontaukProject on Twitter and Instagram and follow @nikenyc on Twitter for details. 

If you're like me and the closest Nike store is a two hour drive or more, be sure to interact with them on Twitter and Facebook for running encouragement and training plans. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck working on your speed! It is fun to run fast on speed days! :)

    ReplyDelete