Monday, August 5, 2013

Meet Inspiring Runner Arie Rich!

Happy Monday! I hope everyone's weekend was great! I had the chance to do The Color Run with some friends and had an absolute blast. I highly recommend doing this race with a group as that makes throwing color on each other that much more fun!

I have been so busy this past weekend and today that I almost had to post my Monday runner feature on Tuesday. Alas, I must admit that I procrastinated a bit. The weekend was filled with so much running, bouldering and fun that I just didn't have time to sit in front of my computer and write. I do not want you to miss out on this VERY inspiring runner! 

Today I would like to introduce you to Ariette, or as I know her, Arie Rich. Arie lives in New York, NY and is an administrative assistant. She is very active and a new runner! I have had the privilege of getting to know her through social media this past year and knew I had to share her story with my readers. Her blog is pretty awesome too, check it out: kmpblog. Without further adieu, meet Arie Rich! 



How Many Years Have You Been Running: Less than a year. About 7 months.

How did you get into running? Can you share your running history?
I used to hate running, not sure how I got into it... All I know is that on my birthday this year,  January 22, 2013, I was motivated to give running a try.  It all started when I registered for the Nike Virtual 10K race, and then the rest was or is history... To date I've  done: one 5K, one 5 miler, three 10k and one half marathon. In the coming months I will be doing: one 4 miler, one 10 miler, 2 half marathons and one full marathon. 
Before you couldn't get me to run past 2 miles, I still can't believe I'll be running my first marathon this Fall.

How do you train? Are you a part of a running group? Do you prefer running with a group or alone?
Ever since I started running I've been using the Nike Race Coach for all my trainings (10K, Half and Full). It has worked very well and it is easy to follow and stick to. I’m not part of a run club or group yet. Although, I’ve been tempted and have been asked to join Nike Run Club several times, at the moment I haven’t find the time to fit it into my running/training schedule, as their run days are different than my train days and it would throw me off. I also find that I don’t mind running alone. I like to go at my own pace and not feel like I’m competing or trying to keep up with someone else’s pace.

What is your favorite memory from running?
My favorite memory from running was when I was training for my first 10K. The time when I broke past two miles, ran 6 miles and felt unstoppable. Also, during my training I’ve noticed that my pace was getting better, so I would get emotional when my Nike Running app would give me a summary of my run and say how I ran my fastest mile or 5K, that made me realize that I can do this.

What race(s) is your favorite? Why?
Being a new runner, I can’t say I have a favorite race yet, but based off the ones that I’ve done so far in NYC, I found the 5 Boro Series are fun. The Brooklyn Half was great because you got to see a lot of places in Brooklyn and finish the race at Coney Island and enjoy a large beer after. I also enjoyed the Queens 10K at Flushing Meadows Corona Park, because the park has amazing landmarks and statues, and lots to take in. It is a great run, to take amazing pictures with really awesome backgrounds.


What advice do you have for new runners?
Good question. Running is not easy and it does take a lot of motivation. Like I mentioned before I hated running, you can ask my friends that have been running for years, I just thought running was hard and it hurt. LOL. I never understood why anyone would run for an hour. I laugh at all this now because it is funny and when I think about it, now all I want to do is run for hours, anything shorter would be torture.

What got me into running was the fact that I was doing it to achieve a goal. My goal was to train and do a 10K. I didn’t do it for weight loss, or for “fun.” Below are a few tips for new runners:

  1. Set a goal and stick to it.
  2. Don’t run past 5 or 6 miles on the treadmill. It’s not fun. I believe long runs should be done outside, on an early morning, down a long path. You’ll see what I mean.
  3. Get fitted for running shoes. Don’t get caught up with the brand, but go to a running store that will do a gait analysis and try on several different shoes. What’s good for me, might not be good for you.
  4. Don’t give up. Stick to your plan, if today’s run says to do 5 miles, do your 5 miles, don’t stop. If you get tired, slow down. Always finish your run! That is so important.
  5. Don’t push yourself too hard. Don’t worry so much about your pace or try to beat your personal best. Enjoy the run, it’ll get easier.

How do you use your blog/social media to influence your running?
I have been blogging since 2008. In my blog I would share tips and info that I would find useful. Ever since I started running I’ve been sharing my running stories with my readers, and I’ve noticed that people are interested in this stuff. I get emails and messages via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram from friends/followers that are inspired by my active lifestyle and want to learn more. I love that by me being active and doing something I’m currently enjoying, I can be inspiring to others.

How do you fit running in with your daily schedule, work, etc…?
Now that I’m training for a marathon, everything I do kind of revolves around my marathon training schedule. Except for work. Monday through Friday I run and/or weight train after work. On the weekends I either rest or wake up early and do my long runs.


Do you have any favorite running gear our readers should know about (shoes, tights, etc)?
Ha! Running is great because it gives me a reason to buy tons of running tights and new workout outfits. Yes, I believe you should look good during your runs or workouts. The days of long baggy t-shirts and sweatpants or basketball shorts are long gone. If you look good, you’ll feel good and you’ll have a great run. I like to get Nike tights, they are comfortable, colorful, different. I own quite a few pairs of Nike tights. Also, a few compression shorts are really great for the summer. I like compression shorts because they don’t rise up when you’re running. Last but not least, sneakers. I own several pairs of sneakers, mostly Nikes because they seem to work well for me. I’ve tried other brands and they cause painful blisters by my ankles, maybe the sizing is different. I also own Vibram FiveFingers shoes, these are great for training and barefoot running. Eventually my goal is to be able to run long distance in barefoot shoes.

Advice From Arie!
A few things to remember:

  1. Don’t think too much about running or when you will start running. Just do it!
  2. Read up on running books. Some of my favorite books so far are: ChiRunning, Eat & Run, and Born to Run.
  3. Find what type of running works for you. Are you a short distance or a long distance runner? Running fast or far might not be for everyone.
  4. Don’t be afraid to sign up for a marathon. If you’ve ran 3-4 half marathons, you can definitively do a full marathon. Feel the fear and do it anyway.


I would like to give a shout out to Arie for being my featured runner! I'm sure after reading Arie's great advice and learning about her running journey you are as inspired as I am by her! I can't wait to officially meet her at the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco this coming October. Until then, I'll be following her journey on social media and training virtually with her for 26.2 miles of glory! Why don't you join me?

Follow Arie:


If you have any questions for Arie or myself please leave a message in the comments below and we'll get back to you! Happy Running!

~Karen

9 comments:

  1. Great interview! I have been trying to incorporate running or "try" to run daily. Loving her tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck with your training!

      Delete
  2. Arie has come so far in her running journey! Loved her winning spirit and her advice for new runners, including clothing and shoes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she inspiring? We can all learn a lot from other inspiring runners! And yes, she has the most fun tights and Nike's!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness.
    thanks for your advice. your answers to the questions are really helpful. I'll look up those running books you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete