Friday, June 28, 2013

I'm Feeling Lucky and Blessed


I have absolutely nothing to complain about this week. If you read my post yesterday then you know I have had a lot of good things happening in my life lately and especially in my fitness and running journey. Today was the day that Nike announced their lottery winners for the Nike Women's Marathon Random Draw. I was lucky enough to be one of the ladies chosen to run the race. Even more exciting is the fact that all of the ladies who I wanted to reunite with, meet and run with got in as well! There will be a Nike Women's Marathon Ambassador Reunion, even though it is missing a few key members (Nerissa and Renisha), but they will be there in spirit! Training begins next week, so after I settle down and wipe this perma-smile off my face I'll have to nail down my schedule. 

Nike has a very fun app this year so you can access your training plans directly from your phone. I am excited to try that out. Did any of my blog readers register for NWM? If so, did you get into the race? Hope to see you there!


I also found out that I won the giveaway for a Spartan Race entry from Sara at Words To Run By. The race in Sacramento is the week after the Nike Women's Marathon so I will be training hard the next 17 weeks! Add onto that my training for Hood to Coast and this girl has a very busy summer and fall. I wish the weather were cooler outside. One hundred plus degree days are NOT OK!

Luckily for me I will be well outfitted and geared up thanks to Athleta Roseville, the sponsor's of Hood to Coast, Nike and Mizuno. I just recently got a new RoadID bracelet too. If you haven't heard of RoadID they make inexpensive ID bracelets and products to protect you on the road. I hope I never need it, but in case something happens to me out on a run, the bracelet lets medical staff know who I am and who to contact. I think it's a must have for any runner out there. Check out their website and pick out one that's right for you. 

My Road ID Bracelet 

That's all from me right now, I'm ready to take on the weekend! What races do you all have on the agenda? How do you train in the heat and stay focused during long periods of training? 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Congrats on getting in for the Nike Women's Marathon. You and the other Sisters in Nike are such an inspiration for me. I started running more within the last year and I love Nike and all it stands for. I wanted San Francisco to be my first marathon, but I didn't get in. I will still enjoy training with you all and pushing myself to become a better and stronger runner. Thanks for your great example and your inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tay! It makes all my training so worth it when I can inspire others, it is worth much more than a medal. I hope you continue training strong. I also want to let you know to not lose hope on getting in to NWM, they often open up "second chance" spots later on, so as long as you are training, you can get in and still run. Just one option to keep in mind. That's how I got into the DC race about a month before! Keep training hard and let me know if I can do anything to help!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the support Karen! I'm glad to know I may still get in to NWM. I will definitely keep training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out this contest for an entry: www.verizoninsider.com/irunfor
      Also, I know Nuun Hydration is doing a contest for an entry soon. It's worth a shot!

      Delete
  3. Yay!! Congrats. Can't wait to virtually train with you for the NWM and see you and the rest of the girls later this year at the race.
    Congrats on the Spartan Race and all the other amazing races you have lined up. You are truly an inspiration.
    I have a few small local races lined up as part of my marathon training and also in hopes to get the points to qualify for the ING NYC Marathon 2014.

    As always, stay focused and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Arie! I'm so excited to get to train with you too and meet in SF! It's such a fun race and there are so many empowering women there. We are going to have a blast. The perfect place to run your first marathon. Good luck on your smaller races to and NYC Marathon! I hope to run that one someday too.

      Delete