Thursday, December 29, 2011

Personal Trainer Benefits

Often it's hard enough to afford a gym membership, let alone personal training sessions. I know I don't have extra money to spend on weekly personal trainer sessions, but I recently had the opportunity to have a session with one of the trainers at my gym and I was pleasantly surprised.


The trainer I spoke to was incredibly knowledgable and had many new exercises and ideas to share with me about training. He listened to my goals and created a training program to help me improve my tennis game. I loved being able to tap into someone else's knowledge and learn more about training and improving my body.

Here are some options if you are thinking about getting a second opinion on your training goals:

  • Set up one or two sessions with a trainer at your gym so that you can get new exercises to do and apply their suggestions to your current routine.
  • Check out the many exercise apps for your phone, ipad, or tablet. My favorite is the Nike Training Club app for iphone. It is like having a personal trainer in your pocket. It provides workouts and video demonstrations so you can see the exercise they are asking you to do and gauge your form. And best of all, it's free!


  • Check out a few classes at your gym like strength training or TRX classes to give you new moves to work on in your personal workouts.
  • Get a workout buddy and plan different workouts with each other. Alternate days in which you each plan a workout and teach each other different exercises. 
Remember to keep mixing up your workouts and teaching your body new drills every few weeks so you keep your body guessing and keep those muscles growing. Good luck and happy training! 

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome girl!! I wish I could afford a trainer too. I had one a while back for a couple months and it was really nice.

    BTW LOVE LOVE LOVE the way your blog looks!!! SO cute!! The colors are fab!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Thanks for sharing your experience with this personal trainer! It's obvious that hiring a trainer has a lot of benefits today. I also want to lose weight and I think a personal trainer would be a great solution for me as well. But, I'm afraid that I can't afford one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely expensive, but even a few sessions can be extremely helpful. Recently I have seen a lot of deals for personal trainers on Groupon and Living Social. Even a boot camp class can be great to give you new ideas to push yourself. One of the new great training tools I have found is the Nike+ Kinect Training game from XBOX. At first I was a bit nervous that the game wouldn't be very good, but I was pleasantly surprised with the huge variety of exercises it has and how well the cameras observe your body movements and correct your mistakes. It truly is like having a personal trainer in your living room. I would recommend trying it out yourself if you are interested. Also, feel free to hit me up with any training questions or motivation. That's what I'm here for!

      Delete