Sunday, December 2, 2012

Puddle Running!

December has arrived and I have one month left to reach my goals for this end of the year and set new ones for 2013. Today was my last planned race until 2013. It was the California International Marathon Relay event. I ran the 7.6 mile second leg of the race and it was one of the most challenging races I have run because of the weather. It was a TORRENTIAL downpour this morning with winds gusting at 29 miles and above. I was soaked before I even started the race. I wore proper gear, wind and water resistant pants, my Nike rain coat and water resistant gloves, but my feet were soaked!

I think my shoes weighed an extra 10 pounds each by the end of the race. I should have invested in LunarGlide 4 Shield's before the race. By the time I realized the weather would be so wet, I could't find the shoe I wanted in town and there was no way to ship it to myself quick enough. Once I was off and running I barely noticed the rain. It was actually almost nice because it kept my body cool as I ran. It was in the high 50 degrees so I was warm enough.

I bounded through puddles all morning long and felt a bit like a child; leaping carelessly through water 2-4 inches deep and dodging other, much deeper puddles. I kept a steady nine minute mile pace and was happy with my time considering the weather. It was a great experience and now I truly feel like a #wind and #rain warrior.

 Well Earned Finisher's Medal!

A warm shower, hot Chai tea and being snuggled under a blanket while writing this are just some of the perks of my post race relaxation. I might head out for a little shopping later this afternoon, when the weather clears up.

In other news, I am leading the Athleta run club every Sunday at 9am. If you're in the Roseville area, come out and join me! I can hardly wait to lead my first running club and consistently help others share the joy of running. It truly is a blessing to be able to work with an amazing group of women runners.


This last week I finally caved and entered the lottery for the Nike Women's Marathon in Washington DC! I have no idea how much this is going to cost, where to stay, who to go with, or how I can afford it, but I just WON'T miss this race! It on my birthday, APRIL 28, so I really don't see how I can NOT go? I will get in, I will have a blast, and I will PR. Those are my goals for 2013.

How are you staying active in December? Have you ever had a race that was ruled by the elements? How did you handle it?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck for getting a place in the DC Marathon! And huge congrats for the really wet relay race and the new running club!
    I just got some outdoor trainers which are supposed to be waterproof- they are so pretty and clean right now that I am scared to actually wear them outdoors! haha!
    www.keepitsimpElle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the best wishes! I can hardly wait for DC! I'm just assuming I will get in at this point. The power of positive thinking! Those waterproof trainers sound amazing!

      Delete