Saturday, April 20, 2013

Dare I Say It...Race Budget Time is Here


Next Sunday, April 28, 2013, I will run the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon in Washington, DC. I am extremely excited and can't wait to spend my birthday exploring our beautiful Capital city. The Tiffany's Finisher Necklace, friends, and Nike swag are pretty exciting too! This will be my first destination race, as I will be traveling across the country for it. I can't wait to run. It has also brought up the need for me to implement racing budgets. Yes, I cringed when I typed that word. 

Budgets are my least favorite thing when it comes to planning my race calendar and training. But, one that must be addressed. I do a relative few number of races per year, mainly due to money and partly to make myself adequately able to train for the ones that I REALLY want to do, aka: Nike Women Races, the Hood to Coast Relay and a few races with my close friends. I've never had a specific racing/training budget, but this year it has come to my attention that I should really start planning out my year ahead of time and budgeting a certain amount.

I also have started wanting to do more destination races, which are not any cheaper! Yes, Sydney Australia Marathon and Nike She Runs race down under, I will run you someday! China Wall Marathon, hopefully. London Marathon, absolutely! I have learned so much about cities and the streets by running, I can't imagine a better way to explore a new place. Of course, coming home with a great finisher's medal is awesome too. I think you can see my predicament: travel + race fees + training gear = Budget! 

Since I can't see myself being sponsored to travel the world to race quite yet, (though Nike - if you are listening, I'd love to run for you or work as an event organizer, I would be great at it), my only solution is to start a race fund and that starts with a monthly budget devoted to racing! 

Since I have no idea where to start, I need some help from you, my faithful racing friends. How much do you budget to racing monthly and how do you choose what races you will do each year? Do you have vacations planned around races? 

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! And if you know of anyone who wants to sponsor me to travel the world.... that would be great too.

~Karen

6 comments:

  1. OMG!!! China Wall Marathon- that is sooo epic! There's also a really cool marathon somewhere in the Savannah. Crazy cool, but yeah it's expensive.

    To be honest I've done like 2 races so can't offer to much advice :P Just listen to what your heart thinks is important I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know the destination races won't be for a while, especially because my hubby is in Grad School for the next two years, but someday! Right now I have to work out the races closer to home. They are just expensive so I need to start making tough decisions!

      Delete
    2. They are mighty expensive but they're one heck of an experience. Maybe go with your hubby to China as a graduation present and you can do the China Wall Marathon :P

      Delete
  2. I was paying $250 a month for CrossFit until I had to buy a new car and deal with payments. Even if I were to do a race per month, it comes to about half of that. I think if you're doing a huge destination race, it's more of a vacation budget than a race budget. In the case of international travel, you may only be able to do one every two or three years. If that's where your passion is, then you should plan accordingly and really think about choices. My own budget is kind of tight these days, so I'm looking at six local half marathons and I try to register early to get the best deal. I did sign up for Disneyworld for 2014...still trying to figure out how I'll swing that. I may do very few races next year to make up for the travel cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice! I know the destination races won't happen for a while, but they may need to be in both the race budget and the vacation fund! Right now I need to focus more on local races. I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 half marathons a year and maybe one Marathon? The marathons are the ones that get really pricy. Good thoughts on registering early. I think I need to start planning my races at least a year ahead, then I can get all the best deals!

      Delete
  3. So many races so little money!! I spend my money and traveling and races. I do not like to shop. I do not like to buy new clothes. I shop at Safeway instead of Whole Foods. All so I can do races and lots of them! I did a ton of races last year...mainly because I was doing 7 RNR races so I could become a "rock legend". It was a lot of money, time, and travel. It was a ton of fun too! This year I cut way back! Except that I am doing 4 running relays! :)
    The best advice I can give you is: Try and go to places where you know someone. The hotel is the biggest expense! Plus you probably won't need a car either. I do the Arizona RNR every year. I get a race in plus I see my friends. It is like killing 2 birds with one stone! Most of my races are built around my vacations also. Also booking early on flights(I always try and find the best deal) and when the races open(because it is the cheapest then) sign up. It sucks to plan so far in advance but sometimes you gotta do it! :)
    Wow! That is a lot...hope that helps.
    I really want to do the Great Wall marathon and Gold Coast(in Australia).

    ReplyDelete