Friday, January 17, 2014

Five Tips for Staying Motivated

We are halfway through the month of January and halfway through my Nike Training Club January Challenge. I hope you are all staying strong with your goals and pushing through the tough times. (It's not too late to join my challenge either, for more information, see my previous blog post here). Often I lose focus halfway through a training cycle or plan and have to work hard to motivate myself to continue. When I need to find my motivation I have a few tips and tricks that work for me. 

Top Five Motivational Tips:
  • Make a schedule. Write down your workout plan for the week. Schedule it into your day. I set reminders in my phone if I am having a hard time making it to the gym. Treat it like a business meeting and don't allow yourself to skip out. 
  • Recruit a workout buddy. I am always recruiting friends to come to the gym with me or come on a run. Often it's the start of a fitness program for them too. It's a win-win for both of us. You'll be more likely to show up for a workout if you know someone is waiting for you.
  • Don't be afraid to fail. I often don't want to try a new class or workout because I don't want to look bad. Let's face it - everyone starts somewhere and no one is perfect when they start out. So  don't be afraid to take a chance. 
  • Set a goal and make a plan to achieve it. Set check points and reward yourself when you reach each mini-goal. Get a massage when you lose five pounds, treat yourself to new workout clothes after you complete your goal race. Make sure your rewards are positive and keep you on track. A three scoop ice-cream cone is probably not a good reward. 
  • Create a social support group. Declare your goal on Twitter or Instagram and follow people with like-minded goals that motivate and inspire you. Post progress photos and do weekly check-ins. 

My progress photo I posted to Instagram to keep me accountable for January.

Bottom line - find what works for you. You might need to test out different tricks to keep you motivated but find what works and stick with it! This month I have been focusing on stretching and yoga sessions. Instagram and Twitter have really helped me stay motivated and the support group I have built is phenomenal. Stay motivated, stick with your goals and if you need an extra push, I'm here to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment