Thursday, June 14, 2012

Strength out of Weakness


I am no stranger to pushing my limits, but this summer I will be stretching my running limits and seeing how far I can go. I never considered myself a runner until after college. I always played basketball and so I had to do sprints, sprints and more sprints (commonly referred to as suicides). I was always a quick sprinter, but distance was never my thing. Last year I ran my first Marathon. Before that I had never run more than 10 miles. But that was not going to stop me. 

The thing that you have to realize about me is that I never write myself off. I just won't let that happen. I find a way to conquer my goals even when no one else thinks I can. In high school my coach didn't see any potential and thought I wouldn't even make the Varsity team by my senior year. I did not let this stop me. I practiced, hard. I was in the gym for hours every day shooting, doing drills and playing with the guys during pick up games. In only a few months I was a swing player for the JV and Varsity team and Varsity starting center by junior year. I led my team to two back to back championship wins in our small league and a stellar season. I had a lot of weaknesses going into my basketball career, but those weaknesses made me a better player. Because of those weaknesses I practiced hours more than others and advanced at a much quicker rate. I learned, adapted and grew my basketball skills into those worthy of the college level. My weaknesses became my strengths and made me the strong athlete I am today. 


Nike Women gave me the amazing opportunity to run with them for the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. I am a Nike Women's Training Ambassador for 2012 and I am living one of my biggest dreams - training with Nike and spending the weekend with them in San Francisco. I get to document my journey, push my limits and find my strength in my weaknesses. My training plan from Nike Master Trainer Marie Purvis is challenging and exciting and I am getting the best gear to train in courtesy of Nike Women. I have a busy few months in the future, but I will give 100% to my training. I have no doubt that these next few months will be some of the most challenging, exciting and limit-crushing that I have ever experienced. 

2 comments:

  1. They will be tough but I feel as though they will be life changing and amazing! So glad to be on this journey with you!! ;)

    ReplyDelete