Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Yoga for NWM 2012


"Blessed are the flexible, for they will not be bent out of shape." -unknown

Tonight I had an amazing yoga session. It was hard to get out the door but once I was there I was so glad that I went. This evening's class was yoga flow, focusing on circulation for the legs. This was the perfect class for me to attend. The instructor made it a bit different this time, but it was just what I needed. With my upcoming Nike Women's Marathon training plan officially beginning in three weeks and with yoga sessions scheduled twice a week, I need to find classes that compliment and enhance my training. 

When I first tried yoga I used the Nike Training Club app's Leah Kim Yoga workout. This workout was challenging while stretching and relaxing all the muscles of the body. I was hooked from day one. Being one of the less flexible athletes, yoga is great for keeping my muscles from getting too tight and sore. I am looking forward to my planned sessions and to see how much my yoga practice can progress over the next few months. 

I am excited to try aerial yoga as well and to see what it entails. It looks like a fun and different way to practice yoga poses. The concept behind it is similar to TRX because you are suspended in the air through many of the movements. I have 20 classes to use in the next few months so I will be incorporating these into my training. What other yoga practices have you tried and which do you recommend? 

3 comments:

  1. aerial yoga sounds awesome!! I don't agree with Bikram yoga and didn't want to like it because my thought is the people in India are doing at that temp because it is their CLIMATE--however I LOVE it. i am HOOKED!! although I do like most yoga-I only don't like some of the visualizations they give, "your eyes are two stones sinking into a pond" I am out at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started Bikram about a 8 months ago to help me battle S.A.D I don't like it and I dread my classes but once it is done I feel AMAZING. I am glad you found a yoga class you love. The benefits from yoga are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I have been too scared to try Bikram yet, but I love flow yoga. Sometime soon I will try it.

    ReplyDelete