Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Tips for Maintaining Your Fitness Progress


Smells waft through the air daily this time of year, from cookies and pies, to turkey and stuffing. The holidays can wreak havoc on any great exercise or diet plan and I am one that has suffered the consequences of eating more treats than I can burn off in a workout. Here are some important tips I use to curb my eating during the holiday season.

1. Eat slowly - the slower you eat, the fuller you will feel and the less likely you will be to eat that extra cookie.

2. Sneak healthy ingredients into your recipes - I always try to throw something healthy into my holiday treats, a few tablespoons of flaxseed in muffins, walnuts substituted for half the chocolate chips, or applesauce for oil in any recipe. These simple additions to treats will give them a hint of health benefit, without ruining their flavor. I think many taste even better. (The pumpkin muffin pictured above has flaxseed mixed into the batter and then walnuts sprinkled on top, yum!)

3. Be sure to maintain you workout routine - Often during holidays we tend to eat more and workout less, just making sure you workout every day while on vacation may give you that extra willpower to say no to that extra cookie, after all, you don't want to waste all the hard work you just did!

4. Remember to still enjoy the day - It is still ok to have treat foods, just eat them in moderation and next time you feel that extra craving coming on head for the water jug, not more cookies. Staying hydrated will keep you full longer and help you manage your cravings.

Enjoy the holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips!! I'm already feeling the pull of Thanksgiving food!! I snuck in a few cheesecake bites today and probably ate more calories than I should have and it's not even Thursday yet! Oy vey. Regardless though I'm still keeping up the workouts, so that's a plus!

    ReplyDelete