Friday, November 4, 2011

What Makes an Athlete?

What makes an athlete? Is is the way they carry themselves, the size of their muscles, the clothes they wear or their amount of flexibility? Is it fame and fortune, or relative anonymity. According to Bill Bowerman "if you have a body, you are an athlete." I couldn't agree more. Every athlete has something different to offer than the last, some are stronger, some are faster, others have endurance or perfect reaction time. Each athlete has something to give, something to achieve and an end goal. Whether you are training for the olympics or training simply for the love of sport, you are an athlete.

I train every day to get stronger and faster, to achieve my personal best. When I do a crunch I don't cheat myself. When I do a pull-up, if I can only do one, I will do one, because the next day I may be able to do 2 and the next week 3. Everything in sport and in life is a learning experience. Everything I do, I do for me, not for someone else. The bottom line is that athletes are athletes because they enjoy their sport. They enjoy the way their body feels when it is pushed to it's true potential, when you have given all you have and have nothing left. That is when you triumph.

Athletes make the world a more interesting and competitive place, athletes also know how to better work in teams and adjust to changes in their daily life more quickly than non-athletes. Next time you head out the door for a walk, spin class or a 26.2  mile run, remember you are an athlete. Make every second count.


No comments:

Post a Comment