Friday, January 6, 2012

Performing at Your Best


I am a pretty health conscious foodie most of the time but I do get hit with my sweet tooth every once in a while. I can't seem to cut sugar out all together, however, I have been improving upon my current consumption and slowly starting to eat very few processed foods. What I have noticed is that I feel better and perform better. 

What wouldn't we all give to perform at our peak abilities? I have come to the realization that eating healthy is not as difficult as I make it out to be. Here are my tips for keeping yourself performing at your best without breaking the bank. After all, you wouldn't settle for cheap gas in a Ferrari would you? I know that my body is much more important than any sports car. 

  1. Prepare meals on the Saturday or Sunday before you start your week so that you don't have to think about preparing food when you arrive home tired from work. I know you have probably heard this a million times, but try it, it really does work!
  2. Stick to the perimeter of the store, try not to go down the center aisles. All the fresh, healthy ingredients are on the perimeter so don't even venture to the processed food areas. 
  3. Learn what good substitutes are. A few ideas - use applesauce for oil, flax seed and water instead of eggs, almond milk instead of dairy milk and always cut down on the sugar in recipes (you just don't need that much!)
  4. Veggies should fill about half of your plate.
  5. Preparation is key, just think about your meals for the week before you go to the store, make a list of healthy ingredients to get and DO NOT DEVIATE. 
Healthy eating is the beginning of hitting your target weight or reaching your peak abilities. Try a few things off this list, or all of them and let me know how you feel. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment