Sunday, January 8, 2012

Injury and Recovery


I have been putting off one of my goals of training for my second marathon due to a recurrent injury from my last Marathon. It's a hard thing to do, to not go for a run and to not be training for a specific event, but in the end I know it will be worth it. 

I have been having knee trouble and was sent to physical therapy for some reduced mobility issues. This brings me to the topic of stretching and how important it is to your routine. If I had been stretching before every run during training, I most likely would not have developed this injury. Now I have to take a half hour or more out of my day for physical therapy exercises. I can feel myself getting slightly better, but not to the extent that I would want and in the time frame I am pushing for. 

Injuries are tough for anyone for many reasons. I am finding other ways to exercise and learning different exercises that strengthen my muscles without harming them. The important thing to remember when you have an injury is not to dwell on that specific injury. You cannot change what happened, but you can change your exercise routine. Injuries force us to rest and maybe that is really what the body is telling us. 

I know that I will achieve my goals, I am just not sure of the exact time frame at the moment. Hopefully I will be back to running full time very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment