Monday, January 16, 2012

Virtual Challenge Complete

This past weekend I finished my first ever Nike+ Virtual Half-Marathon. I wasn't sure what to expect from this race because of the virtual nature, but I loved it. It was great to be able to set my own race start time, pick my own course and run along roads and trails in my own city.

The virtual nature of this event did bring less of a competitive spirit because I wasn't racing against other runners in the same event. This did not lesson the intensity and spirit of the race, it just was something that I observed. Every time I passed another runner on my route I wondered if they were participating in the virtual event as well or if they were simply out for a weekend run.

When I finished the race I was a lot hungrier than I thought I would be, but I guess burning close to 1500 calories can do that. I missed the post-race expo and food that usually comes with these races, but I was only a few minutes from home and making my own delicious carb and protein loaded dinner was quick and easy.

So what's next you might ask? I hope to run in the Eugene, Oregon half-marathon in May, a few 5k races in between, and then finish off my year with the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. I just might accept  a few virtual challenges from the Nike+ community as well. See you on the trails! 

No comments:

Post a Comment